Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Calendar in control?

Life is just CRAZY!!! I don't know if its because I have 4 kids now, but life has just gotten so hectic around here! I had just had enough of it and needed to make a change. I was so exhausted every night running off to practices, finishing late night homework, running here and there and everywhere!

I decided to read a few talks from leaders of my church and a couple things hit me. Here are a few of the words from Dieter F. Uchtdorf~
"Let’s be honest; it’s rather easy to be busy. We all can think up a list of tasks that will overwhelm our schedules. Some might even think that their self-worth depends on the length of their to-do list. They flood the open spaces in their time with lists of meetings and minutia—even during times of stress and fatigue. Because they unnecessarily complicate their lives, they often feel increased frustration, diminished joy, and too little sense of meaning in their lives.
It is said that any virtue when taken to an extreme can become a vice. Over scheduling our days would certainly qualify for this. There comes a point where milestones can become millstones and ambitions, albatrosses around our necks.
There is a beauty and clarity that comes from simplicity that we sometimes do not appreciate in our thirst for intricate solutions. Leonardo da Vinci is quoted as saying that “simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” Let us simplify our lives a little. Let us make the changes necessary to refocus our lives on the sublime beauty of the simple, humble path of Christian discipleship—the path that leads always toward a life of meaning, gladness, and peace. "

I decided to take these words to heart, so instead of complaining about my busy life as a mother of 4, I decided it was time to take hold of my life and that of my children as well. Kirk and I decided to fore go the baseball season that we considered signing Bruin up for and sticking to some more simple activities that take up less time and are more flexible with our schedule. We are loving that our evenings are more open to spend as a family and enjoy some relaxing moments together. We are also able to visit with family and friends more often. Its also been helping me feel peace in my life. I feel blessed to have time to do those things that matter most.

Challenge: Try to cut back on the scheduled events on your calendar. Find one night a week that you can spend just doing something together as a family. Enjoy time with your husband, children, parents, or with whoever is most important in your life.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I know that my life isn't as crazy and hectic as yours, I have half the kids, and neither are in sports yet... but I do know that you are SOO right! Sometimes we are too busy to stop and smell the roses. I think it benefits your relationship as a family and especially with your kids to take some time and just be with them. It makes them know they're important to you, and gives them a sense of love and comfort! Good for you Joanna! Your such an inspiration!

Deanna said...

Sis. Beck also has some great things to say on this subject. In her talk "Mothers Who Know" she says "Mothers who know do less...They allow...less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home." She says it takes faith to make family dinners a priority and faith to not overschedule yourself or your kids so you can keep it a priority.

I admire you for not signing Bruin up for baseball. My husband and I talk often about our plans for sport practices and music lessons. We read this post http://www.adventureinprogress.com/being-intentional-about-activity
which is really inspiring. We don't plan on doing everything that's mentioned but, I think it makes some good points about being too dependent on sports to teach values.

We are not so extreme as to say no sports at all. I think there is a balance there that we can understand through prayer and revelation for our own families. I'm interested in your thoughts on that post too.

Deanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat and Brittany said...

That is great advice! I feel like I can never manage to get everything done that I need to, and my busy life doesn't even compare to yours! Recently I started organizing our weekly schedule much better. This has really helped me, but i still need to allow for more family and husband time...I need to find the right balance. Thank you for the great post!

Kim L. said...

LOVE this post. It is all about identifying priorities, making sure THOSE happen...and learning to let the REST go. I've been drafting a similar post...about re-creating/finding balance again after baby #5. Now, I am off to check out that "intentional about activity" post. Thanks for sharing...I think this is Satan's greatest tool for LDS moms....if he can just distract us through activities....as we try to keep up doing everything the "world" is doing... then, there is no time for what matters most...and he has WON.

Anonymous said...

I simply could not go away your website prior too suggesting that I really loved the usual info a person provide on your guests?

Is going to be back incessantly to investigate cross-check new
posts

Feel frree to visit my page ... m88