Sunday, January 30, 2011

On Stage Advantage

Not this time!!! At least, not quite as much of it :)

Today I have the blessing (usually curse, but I'm thinking positively right?) of speaking for 13 minutes in front of a large congregation of people at my church. I prepared, pondered, prepared some more, stressed, then prayed, then went for it! I felt humbled and blessed to be able to speak on a topic I was passionate about. I spoke on teaching your children to stay on a righteous path.

My three points were: first, to take advantage of small teaching moments when they are ready to learn; second, work on developing a trusting personal relationship with each child; and third, stay consistent on having family prayer, scripture study, and reserving one night a week to have a "family night" where you can teach them, play with them, and have a little treat together in your home.

Usually I am super nervous and just think about all the things I will do wrong. Instead today I used this challenge of positive thinking and it worked wonders! As I sat up on the stage awaiting my turn, I decided to look around and see all the friendly faces and think of how they were just here to listen, learn, and support me. No one wanted me to do horribly. I also thought about the preparation I had done, and how I would just try to do my best. As I was up at the microphone I felt peaceful and was even able to tell some of the stories in my own words instead of just reading off the paper. It felt great! I'm not sure if anyone else felt the difference, but what mattered to me was the way I felt.

So, this week when you are encountering something challenging-rather than thinking about all the mistakes you will make, think of how smart you are and how well you will do. Good luck!

No comments: